Dr. Jane L. Mahakian provides specialized dementia training classes and seminars to assisted living, dementia communities, hospitals, community organizations and corporations throughout the Nation.
New regulations require all direct care staff in a facility providing dementia care to have 8 hours of dementia training per year. All class trainings meet this requirement. On-going training is also available for communities and can be customized to the specific needs of the audience, setting and care needs.
The training classes are lively, experiential, informative and make learning fun! Jane is also a California approved provider (BRN #6568) for Continuing Education Units for Certified Nurse Assistants and is a member of California Assisted Living Facilities Association (CALFA).
The following are a sample of available Continuing Education Units Approved Training Topics:
- The Older Person: What’s Normal? What’s Not?
- You’re Reality or Theirs? Validating the Older Person with Dementia
- Alzheimer’s Disease Part 1: The Basics of Alzheimer’s Disease and its Course.
- Alzheimer’s Disease Part 2: The Progression of Alzheimer’s Disease and its Stages.
- Understanding Challenging Behaviors: Tools, Strategies and Techniques for the Professional Caregiver.
- ABC’s of Communication Skills with Cognitively Impaired Older Adults
- Overview of Depression in the Older Person
- Agitation and Dementia: What is Agitation and how to use positive redirecting techniques.
- The Power of Choice: How to Foster Independence and Self-Esteem in the Older Person with Dementia.
- Strategies and Techniques to assist the Resident with Transition, Change, Loss and Aging in Place.
Presentations and Seminars for your Community or Corporation
- Is it time yet? Learn when it may be time to transition your parent from independent living to an assisted or dementia community
- You’re Reality or Theirs? Validating and Understanding your Loved One with Dementia.
- Before Mother Calls [tm]: How to Create your Family Elder Care Plan before the need arises.
- When Home is no Longer an Option: Alternative Housing Options for the Older Person with Memory Loss.
- Productive Aging: Redefining Life Meaningfulness